Sunday, March 11, 2007

Conservative atheists

It sounds like an oxymoron, but they do exist, and they have started making themselves heard.

Coming Out - Skeptical Conservatives, weary of the Theocon’s Disdain, are Emerging from the Closet by Christopher Orlet in New English Review.

For an older article, see Heather Mac Donald's August 28, 2006 piece in The American Conservative.

It would seem to me that these atheist (or agnostic) conservatives are easily as important allies as the moderate Christians in the fight against the fundamentalist Right-winged Christians, trying to impose their doctrine on the US. Yet, they are rarely mentioned (and even less courted by the Democrats), and I think that's a mistake.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Trinifar said...

The Democrats have just found the power and the spine to start investigating GWB's administration. We are still waiting to see if they are willing and able to do anything serious about ending the conflict in Iraq. (I find it hard to call it a war, I've no idea who we are fighting or why.)

As they say, it will be a cold day in hell before any politician, right or left, mentions an atheist in a positive way, and hell will be frozen solid by the time one of them seeks an atheist of any stripe as an ally.

Yeah, I'm a little bitter about the state of things in my country. But great post. After looking at this and a couple of others I'm putting Pro-science on my reading list. Good luck.

March 13, 2007 7:31 AM  
Blogger Kristjan Wager said...

Thank you very much.

I find it rather amazing what negative feelings most Americans seem to have towards atheists (at least according to the polls). It doesn't make sense at all to me.

March 13, 2007 6:15 PM  
Blogger Trinifar said...

It doesn't make sense to me either. Being brought up in a religious home I was never trained to be wary of atheists and didn't know anyone who was. Decades later I still don't!

I wonder how good the data is, how good the polling has been.

March 15, 2007 3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home