Sunday, October 05, 2008

Thoughts from JAOO


JAOO conference
Originally uploaded by Kristjan Wager
At the start of this week, I spent three days at the JAOO conference in Ã…rhus.

JAOO is without a doubt, the biggest developer conference in Denmark, and while it's roots is in the JAVA community in Denmark, it has grown to become a cross-technology conference, where there is focus on both individual technologies and on trends.

I went to the conference with some of my co-workers (including Frank Vilhelmsen) and with the head of Neo4j. Neo4j is something as interesting as a graph database (think math). While it doesn't support .NET yet, I find the product very interesting, and would suggest that anyone who codes in JAVA check it out.

Well, back to the conference.

Given the fact that I go to Microsoft seminars regularly, and that my role in projects are often not just pure development, but also involve stuff like architecture, code review and similar tasks, I decided to skip the technology specific talks, and focus on those with a broader scope.

I won't go into all the talks I listened to, but I got a lot out of this approach (more than those of my colleagues who only went for the technology specific talks), and I will certainly return to JAOO in the future.

The best talks I heard, was two talks given by Michael Nygard, the author of Release It! - a book that I have heard nothing but good stuff about, and which I certainly will get and read.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I have checked Neo4j out.. And it is fun, different and mind thinking.. But I must say that the Ruby syntax is much better and intuitive than from Java.

See U soon :-)

November 19, 2008 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home