Friday, September 04, 2009

Four books per week and other goals

When I was younger, I used to be an avid reader, in periods reading on average a book per day (or even more). Yet after I started spending time on the internet, and especially since I got broadband, the number of books I've read have gone down drastically.

This has annoyed me for a while, and I've decided that I would try to do something about it.

Instead of just trying to read more, I've decided to make some reading goals for the rest of the year. They are:

1) Read four books a week. Given the fact that I might be more busy some weeks than others, I've decided that this number should be a four week average, by which I mean that at any time, I should be able to count the number of books read in the last four weeks, and find at least 16 titles.

2) Read at least one work-related book per fortnight. They tend to take me longer than other books, so I give myself 14 days for reading them. The general principle is though, that I should be reading a work-related book at all times (I tend to read several books in parallel)

3) Read at least one non-fiction book per week (including the work-related book). Not a hard goal, when combined with goal 2.

4) No more than one re-read is allowed per week. Like many other avid readers, I have a tendency to return to books. While this is enjoyable, I consider it cheating in this context.

I won't be making posts on how well I am managing every week, but I will certainly write something about it in the future.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kaethe said...

What a disciplined and well-thought-out plan. I actually find myself re-reading far less than I used to, pre-Readerville, because my list of TBR has gotten soooo long. So, do you have a list you're going to work on, or a stack of books sitting around, neglected? I look forward to updates.

September 08, 2009 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Dumbass said...

I don't know how anybody can find the time to read as much as you're planning.

Last year I tied for the most number of books read in 2009 on the SGU forums, and I did that by averaging about six books a month.

At four books a week, how will you find time to do anything else??

March 08, 2010 12:44 AM  
Blogger Kristjan Wager said...

Dumbass, I am a fairly fast reader, which helps. Also, I don't own a TV, and I have more than two hours of transportation every day (taking the public transportation), which gives me the opportunity to read.

In all honesty, I must however admit that I haven't quite reached my goal. I average just below 3 books per week, except when I am on vacation, where I generally read more.

March 08, 2010 7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home