Saturday, June 30, 2007

8 random things about me - do you really care?

ERV tagged me with the '8 Random Things About You' meme, so I thought I'd better be good and post something. Not that I really think that there is anything interesting to say about me.

First the formalia:
Here are the rules:

* We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
* Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
* People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
* At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
* Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.


1. Though I work as an IT-consultant, and enjoy it very much, I actually came into IT late. Before I started on a study called "Advanced computer Studies" (Datamatiker in Danish) in 2000, I hadn't really programmed before (except for some basic web-related stuff). Fortunately I found it fairly straightforward, and quite interesting.

2. Most of my friends are also working within IT, though in most cases I have known them long before they began to work with these things. We all just moved in the same general direction, I guess.

3. One thing you'll never experience, is me singing. I cannot sing, and I have a pretty decent ear for music, so listening to my own singing is painful. The same goes for playing muscial instruments.

4. I practiced martial arts for over 15 years. Judo was the main thing, but I also did some Karate and Jiu-jitsu, and a little Aikido and Kendo. Currently I am not practicing martial arts, but I am planning on finding a new dojo - the problem is that I don't want to practice competition judo (where the aim is to win), but rather focus on correct techniques.

5. I used to be an avid reader, reading at least one book per day. Now the internet has cut down on my reading time, so I am down to a book per week.

6. My parents had a large book collection, and I have seem to have inherited their collecting gene. Due to lack of space, I am not buying many books these days, but I have an ever-growing CD and DVD collection. Currently I am trying to convince myself of the need to cull my CD collection of those CDs that I won't listen to again, but these things don't come easily to me.

7. When going to town, I usually drink beer or standard drinks like gin and tonic. However, my drink of choice is whisky, and I am working on getting a decent range of them. Together with a bunch of other people, I am planning on buying a hogshead of whisky, that will mature for 10 years, before we get the bottles.

8. I don't consider myself a scientist, though I have a B.Sc. and write in a blog called 'pro-science'. My basic grasp of math, chemistry, physics, biology etc. is too low for me to feel that I can call myself a scientist in any sense. While I do pass the math-based subjects in computer science, I have to put a lot of work into it.
Rather, I consider myself a systems developer/architect that applies science to systems development (something that's not a given).

And, now for the hard part - who to tag?

Kaethe is one of my few faithful readers, so she's a given.

Peter Cashwell usually does some mean lists, so it could be interesting to see his repsonse.

Sara Speaking has turned into a daily read, so I think I should also tag Sara.

Shelley over at Retrospectacle has just returned from a nice trip, so she be rested and able to write something interesting about herself.

I don't know if ancient hominin do blog memes, but just in case they do, I tag Afarensis (hopefully his hiatus won't be too long).

Orac is one of my blog-fathers, so I think it's fitting to tag him. However, he is pseudonymous, so it might be that he wants to skip this one.

Blake Stacey is one of these bloggers that write stuff that I wish I could write.

Skeptico is a must-read, so he is also tagged.

As with all memes, I don't take it personal if people don't want to participate. I personally only participates in memes that is relevant to the blog's general theme, or which can provide the readers a little better understanding of who I am.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kaethe said...

You go on vacation, and come back to find you've been tagged. Okay, I'll play. But It's going to be a day or two, okay?

July 03, 2007 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home